Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Bluebeard Terror

The only shocking part of the Bluebeard stories is when the young wife discovers her husbands deep dark secret. For me, the most grizzly and truly disturbing of these is from "Fitcher's Bird." The Grimms version has a very disturbing scene where many bodies are discovered that are chopped up and an axe is on the chopping block. If I saw this in a horror movie, I would imagine seeing pools of blood that are not dried (since the Grimms, unlike Perault do not say that it is dried), and also the gleaming axe is sitting in darkness with the only ray of light causing the blade to shine. In the case of Grimms, this leads to the charcters death, as well as her other sisters. The Peraults version is less grusome in my opinion, because the bodies are not dismembered. The next version, the Robber Bridegroom, the wife actually witnesses her bridegrooms horrific actions firsthand. This is the only story that has this happen. However, for me it may be more personal for the character, BUT is not as scary as the wife being alone, openign a door that was forbiden, and suddenly getting the shock of her life. The Robber Bridegroom scenerio of a the bride to be going to the bridgegrooms house, is alos like Mr. Fox. This however blends the witness type with the forbidden room type.
These horror elements work in two separate ways. When the wife enters the forbiden room, it works to show that she is beign disobedient and therfore moves the plot because her life is threatened. I would like to point out that there is some irony in the thought that the wife is being punished for being disobedient. She SHOWS obedience by staying at the house when she is away AND returning all the key/items to him EVEN THOUGH she knows it will displease him and she will be punished. However, in the Bridegroom/Fox versions it shows that her suspicions/apprehension about marrying her husband was right, and that she needs to get away.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with much of what you say. For instance, even if the wife/fiance does disobey her husband/husband-to-be in a number of versions, to say that such disobedience is justifiably punished by a gruesome death is a little unfair. I also agree with what you say about confirming the heroine's intuition in The Robber Bridegroom, but I think that the woman initially liked her husband-to-be in Mr. Fox. I might be wrong though, I don't have the stories in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is ironic. I didn't think of it that way before. It is quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete