Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Wondrous Tale of a Naked Saint

A Wondrous Tale of a Naked Saint does not resemble your average fairytale on the surface, however small elements in this tale do resemble the fairy tale genre. While, the tale does not open with "once upon a time in a far away land" as many fairy tales do, it does open with a timelessness that does make it very fairy tale-ish. With no set time or place the reader has no idea where they are.  Other fairy tale elements within the tale include the use of magic and abnormal beings.  The magic spell the saint is under is very characteristic of a fairy tale, as are the creatures/strange beings that wander around the forest.

In terms of music, while the writer does a good job of establishing what is music and of having powerful lyrics, I am not sure just words could ever fully replace music. I struggle in imagining how the songs would go. I can't picture the melody or back beat, all I feel when I read is cold words.  I think that things wold be a lot worse if the language was not so poetic, but I do not thing words can take the place of music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment